Black Walnut Tree
ShipNow Spring 2024
The Prized Black Walnut Tree
The black walnut tree is a tree native to eastern North America. It can grow to 100 feet tall and spread to 75 feet. The black walnut tree has a straight trunk and a broad, spreading crown, which makes it a famous shade tree.
The black walnut tree produces a nut enclosed in a rugged, thick shell that is difficult to crack. The nut meat is high in protein, fiber, and omega-3 fatty acids and is commonly used in baking and cooking.
The wood is also highly prized for its durability, strength, and attractive grain and is often used in furniture-making and other woodworking projects.
The Black Walnut Tree Is A Valuable Tree
While the black walnut tree is a valuable natural resource, it can also be a nuisance for homeowners due to the large, heavy nuts that it drops in the Fall (End of October). For this reason, it is essential to carefully consider the placement of black walnut trees in landscaping and gardening projects.
When planting a Black Walnut tree, it is essential to choose a suitable location. Here are some tips on where to plant:
- Soil type: Black Walnut trees prefer well-drained, deep, fertile soils. They can grow in various soil types but prefer loamy, well-drained soils.
- Sunlight: Black Walnut trees require total sun exposure to thrive. Ensure your chosen location receives at least 6-8 hours of direct sunlight daily.
- Spacing: Black Walnut trees can grow up to 100 feet tall with a spread of up to 70 feet, so it is essential to plant them in a location with plenty of room to grow. Leave enough space between the tree and nearby structures, power lines, or other trees.
- Climate: Black Walnut trees are hardy in USDA zones 4-9 but perform best in zones 5-8.
- Nearby plants: Black Walnut trees produce a chemical called juglone that can be toxic to some plants, so avoid planting them near susceptible species like tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and blueberries.
In summary, when planting a Black Walnut tree, choose a location with well-drained, fertile soil, total sun exposure, ample space for growth.
Buy Black Walnut Trees Online